Thursday, October 29, 2020

Day 2 - Cut T-shirt Squares - Rag T-shirt quilt tutorial

 Day 2 - Cut T-shirt Squares - Rag T-shirt quilt tutorial

After all your T-shirts are nice and laundered, start the process of cutting out your T-Shirt squares

Some things to consider:
  • I use a Olfa rotary cutter.  Plus a self healing Olfa cutting mat.  I have one that I use down stairs and in my little craft space.  
  • Additionally a Quilters Acrylic clear ruler is use a lot of times in cutting out fabric and squaring up edges with my olfa cutter
  • Recently I purchased a T-Shirt Transformation clear acrylic guide.  I had been using a self diagramed clear plastic acrylic square, with 10, 12, 14 & 16 inch markings.  But recently in looking at other people doing T-shirt quilts read upon this tool over at Nancy's Notions.  Ordered mine off of Amazon.
  • I used my nice fabric Gingher sizzors to cut the front away from the back side of the shirt.  Just went down the side of the shirt in cutting.
Tools for making a ragg T-shirt quilt.  Olfa cutter, mat, quilters ruler, T-shirt transformation template

Some other things to consider:
  • Some of your shirts will have designs on both the front and back.  You can decide to use both sides on the front side of your quilt, or have them be back to front on the same quilt, or make separate quilts if you wish
Two sided T-shirt for rag quilt

Decision time:
  • Where to place your template for cutting.  Ohh, this is the hard part!
Placement of the template for T-shirt ragg quilt

Placement of the template for T-shirt ragg quilt

Day 2: Cut T-Shirt Squares






No comments: