Tutorial for T-shirt Pillow: A Square Flanged Envelope Pillow Tutorial from a
T-shirt. By Gail Pickens-Barger, http://love2sew4fun.blogspot.com/
What you will need
Size Adult L - T-shirt (or larger)
14 " square pillow form
Matching or contrasting Thread
1. Cut up the sides of the t-shirt.
2. Cut a 19 inch by 19 inch square from the front of the T-shirt.
3. Cut two(2) 19 inch by 13 inch panels from the back of the T-shirt (see photo), this will make the envelope portion of the back of the finished pillow. One of the panels, I used the edge/bottom of the T-shirt, so that I do not have to sew an edge on one of the panels.
4. On one of the 19 by 13 inch panels, sew 1/4 inch from the edge, on the long end. Then turn 1/4 inch, sew again, turn once more 1/4 inch and sew the 1/4 from the edge. Or finish the edge with your favorite technique. (see Photo)
5. Pin the two back pieces to the front piece, RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER (see
photo). Place the panel with the t-shirt hem first, then place the panel that you sewed the edge second, having the hemmed edges overlapping. (The t-shirt
hem will be on the outside of the finished t-shirt pillow.)
6. Stitch All around the pillow with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Cut corners diagonally. Trim the seam allowances.
7. Turn RIGHT SIDE OUT. Press. (T-shirt hem is the outer layer, as show in this photo.) ====>
8. To make flange, stitch 2 inches from the outer edges. (You may want to use contrasting thread or stick with a matching thread.)
9. Insert 14" pillow form thru back opening.
10. There you have your square flanged envelope pillow.
Notes: The Larger the t-shirt size, the more room you'll have to center the design into the square. This particular shirt was very close to the neckline, so the design is not "centered" on the square pillow.
T-shirt into a Square Flanged Envelope Pillow Tutorial by Gail Pickens-Barger is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at love2sew4fun.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://love2sew4fun.blogspot.com/2009/04/t-shirt-into-square-flanged-envelope.html.